We All Know That Preston Is An Excellent Place To Live And Work
But Did You Know These Top Five Facts About Preston?
It’s One Of The Best Places To Live.
- Preston was recently voted the 12th best place to live and work in the whole of the U.K. by Sarah Beeny and her team on her recent Channel 4 program Uk’s best place to live. This is very impressive when you consider there are 1067 towns and cities in England alone. Further more South Ribble was voted the best place to live in the U.K. In fact areas near by featured in the top 20 four times.The Program looked at many different variables, such as quality of available schools, average house prices, job opportunities average incomes to name but a few.
We Like Food, Fast!
2. The first KFC to open outside of North America was the KFC on Fishergate here in Preston. The store opened it’s doors in May 1965. The store was in fact the first American style fast food store in the U.K. Beating McDonald’s, Subway and similar.
The store will shortly be closing it’s doors for good, so if you want to eat in the first fast food store in the country, you need to get down there soon!
3. The first motorway network in the U.K. is in Preston. In 1958 the motorway opened and less than one week after opening the motorway was jammed! With traffic reportedly moving at 2-3mph! Setting the trend for motorways all over the country. The Preston By-pass (which is now part of the M6) is 8 miles long and runs from Broughton to Bamber Bridge.
We Have A Truly Unique Football Club.
4. Preston North End Football Club has claim to be the true home of football. The Preston North End stadium in Deepdale is the oldest continuously running football club in the entire world. The National Football Museum used to be in Preston for this very reason until it moved (some say stolen) to Manchester.
In 1889 Preston North End won the League and the FA Cup the first team to win the double and not lose a single game all season. They won the final of the FA Cup an astonishing 26-0 the biggest win in English football history.
North End and Preston legend Sir Tom Finney OBE, CBE was the first British player to be named player of the year twice, in 1954 and in 1957.
Preston Now Has Some Stunning Hotels.
5. Until very recently Preston had very little to offer on the hotel front. The hotel considered the most luxurious was the Marriott on Garstang Road. Although the Marriott is in Broughton and not actually in Preston centre and is around a 20 minute drive from the town. Now the 5* No.10 Preston Hotel has opened right in the city centre of Preston that has all gladly changed.
Do You Have Any Interesting Facts About Preston?
Do You Agree With Our Top 5?
Why not comment here and tell us your facts?